A field set is a grouping of fields. Staff users can create new field sets displaying any fields on a given Object, for example a user's Name, Email, Role, and Job Title. When a field set is added to a Visualforce page, developers can loop over its fields and render them. New field sets can customize the display of information on pages in the Community Portal, such as the Profile page and the Checkout page, as well as pages within Community Groups and Events.
Users cannot create or edit field sets in Lightning Experience. You must return to Salesforce Classic to modify field sets. There is currently an idea on the Salesforce Idea Exchange to enable field set modification and creation that you can upvote.
Create a New Field Set for an Object
- Click your profile icon and select Switch to Salesforce Classic to return to Classic. The page will reload and open in Salesforce Classic.
- Navigate to Setup.
- In the Quick Find/Search field, type Objects. Click Objects from the left-hand sidebar under Create. The Custom Objects page will open.
- In the Custom Objects table, click the label of the object you want to add a new field to.
- Scroll-down to the Field Sets section and click the New button. The New Field Set page will open.
- Enter a label in the Field Set Label field. Press Tab on the keyboard to auto-populate the Field Set Name field.
- In the Where is this used? text box, enter a brief description of where and how the new field set is used.
- Click the Save button to create the new field set.
Add New Field Set to Object
After you save the new field set, a page layout edit page will open. Here, you can add any desired fields to your new field set.
- Drag-and-drop the fields to be listed in the field set in the order you want them to appear.
- Click the Save button.
- The new field set will be created for the selected object.